10. My Ten Year Old Lady is Giving It Away
9. Belted Sweater
8. You Drink a Lot of Coffee for a Teenager
6. Room Tempature Lounge
5. The World in Perforated Lines
4. Let’s Face it Pal, You Didn’t Need That Eye Surgery
3. Cold Knees-in April
2. A Lot of People Tell Me I Have a Fake British Accent
1. (Let’s Face it Pal You) Haven’t Lived Afro Pop
because I’m grading papers
and want a familiar background story
where I don’t need to concentrate.
Something about showbiz people
with nothing better to do
but to wound each other.
Ten papers in, I’m startled
to hear Betty Schaefer,
the cute scriptwriter who’s smart
enough to be 23, say to Joe Gillis
that she’s crying because she loves Artie,
her intended, but she’s not in love with Artie
but with him, Joe, who’s being kept
by a rich and decrepit star who smells
of decayed tuberoses.
And I remember you said
the same thing—the business
about not being in love
—and I think—
how can one preposition hurt
so much and for so long?
Joe, I moan, getting into character,
won’t you love me, like that, like
that, just a little?